Child Protection and Safeguarding

What is ‘Safeguarding children’?

Safeguarding children is defined as:

  • Protecting children from maltreatment.
  • Preventing impairment of child’s health and development.
  • Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.
  • Enabling children to have optimum life chances and to enter adulthood successfully.

NHS Safeguarding

Child Protection is part of safeguarding and promoting welfare and refers to the activity which is undertaken to protect children who are suffering or are likely to suffer significant harm

The definition of a ‘child’ is anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday (Children Act 1989).

Are you a child concerned about yourself or a friend?

Child abuse is not OK.

All children have the right to live free from abuse and neglect.

If you are concerned and you want to talk to someone about yourself or a friend please use one of the contacts below or speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, teacher or school nurse.

Are you a member of the public concerned about a child’s safety or welfare?


  • Protecting children is everybody’s business
  • Everyone have a responsibility to report abuse
  • If in doubt share your concerns about children immediately
  • Reporting concerns rarely leads to a child being removed from their family
  • Act now – don’t leave a child at risk

If you believe that a child or young person is at immediate risk, this should be reported without delay to the police service as a 999 emergency.

Everyone has a responsibility for safeguarding children, not just professionals. If you have concerns that a child needs a service, or needs help and support in some way, there are people who can help.

Useful contacts:

800 1111
Get information and advice about a wide range of issues, talk to a counsellor online, send Childline an email or post on the message boards

0808 8005 000

St.Helens Contact Cares on
01744 676767

Halton Children Social Care
0151 907 8305

Warrington Children Social Care
01925 443322

Oldham Children
0161 770 7777

Police 101 or 999 in an emergency

Useful websites

Halton Children and Young People Partnership

Oldham Safeguarding Children Partnership

St Helens Safeguarding Children Partnership

Warrington Safeguarding Partnership