The Enhanced Care Home Support Service is a service which provides dedicated support, advice, training and education to all nursing and residential care homes located within the Warrington boundaries, ensuring quality, equity and appropriateness of care.
There is a Triage service provided by the Care Home Helpline, ensuring the patient is assessed by the most appropriate member of the team or the patients’ own GP practice if required.
They provide a comprehensive health needs assessment for all patients with a skill mix of Nurses, GPs and Pharmacists, the team is also supported by Clinical Nurse Educators.
The service is delivered in partnership with primary care, secondary care, the local mental health trust, North West Ambulance Service, local provider services and local government services.
The service aims to provide:
- Proactive and reactive assessments with patients face to face or via a private video consultation
- End of Life Care i.e. advanced care planning, preferred priorities of care
- Early Supported Discharge from hospital
- Social and personal support
- Education relating to end of life care and locally developed pathways
- Follows the Falls integrated pathway
- Reduces inappropriate GP visits, reducing A&E attendances and emergency admissions
- Undertakes Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings monthly within the care homes with the designated GP, care home staff and family members / other health professionals as appropriate.
Patients who can access the service:
- Any person over the age of 18, who is registered with a GP in Warrington and lives in either a nursing or residential home within the Warrington Boundaries
- Any patient with an acute presentation of a health problem
- Any patient who has been diagnosed with a life limiting condition
- Any patient who may be potentially admitted to secondary care
Patients who can not access the service:
- Any person who does not have a Warrington GP or is not a resident in a Warrington care home
- Any patient not willing to consent to treatment
All service users are treated equally regardless of age, culture, disability or gender sensitive issues.
The Enhanced Care Home Support Service works closely in partnership with Warrington’s nursing homes, residential homes, Social Services, local GPs, Warrington and Halton Hospital Foundation Trust (WHHFT), North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and and Community Healthcare Services.
Referrals are received via the Care Home Helpline on 01925 946355 from all care homes, WHHFT, North West Boroughs and Social Services.