Why am I seeing a Speech and Language Therapist?
- You may need to see a Speech and Language Therapist if you have concerns around:
- Your communication (speech clarity, understanding what others say and expressing yourself)
- Your swallow (difficulties swallowing food or drink)
- Your voice (changes to your voice which concern you)
What are your referral criteria?
- We see patients who fit into the following criteria:
- Aged 18+
- Have a GP in Runcorn or Widnes
- Have an acquired condition
How long do I have to wait for an appointment?
We aim to make contact with high priority patients within 10 working days.
All other swallow and/or communication patients should be seen within 13 weeks of referral but will be prioritised according to risk rating.
If you feel you need to be seen sooner, please contact us on 01928 593765.
What happens if I do not attend an appointment?
If you miss an appointment, you have two weeks to contact our department to arrange another appointment.
If we do not hear from you within two weeks of the missed appointment you will be discharged from the service.
This information is stated on our appointment letters to all patients.
Where will I be seen?
If you live in Widnes we can offer clinic appointments at Beaconsfield Surgery and the Health Care Resource Centre.
If you live in Runcorn we have clinic appointments available at Halton General Hospital.
If you live in St Helens we have clinic appointments available at St Helens Hospital or Lowe House.
We are able to offer home appointments for those unable to make it into clinic.
What time do you offer appointments?
Appointment times are offered flexibly where possible. Appointments are offered Monday-Friday, excluding bank holidays.
How long does each appointment last?
Appointments may last up to an hour.