CCNT – The Complex Needs Service
Who might be referred to us?
- Children with chronic/complex health care needs that require nursing care, ongoing support and advice on health conditions.
- Children and young people who are reliant on medical technology, for example, naso-gastric feeding tube, gastrostomy, tracheostomy and ventilation support
- Children and Young People with life limiting or life threatening conditions who require Nursing care or support.
- Children and young people who require a package of Continuing Health Care support to maintain their care at home with families . The CCNT will liaise with, and support, the local commissioning board to assess and plan Children’s Continuing Health Care with other agencies. This is to ensure that the child’s/young person’s complex health needs are identified and addressed.
- Facilitate preferred place of care for the end of life for a child/young person and their family.
The Complex Needs Service in School
Our aim is to work in partnership with parents, teachers and support staff in Fox Wood school to provide person centred care, to enable children with complex nursing needs to access their education so that they can reach their potential for learning.
The school nursing support is offered by an experience school nurse and an experienced children’s nurse.
Our Nurses will provide clinical training for schools and nurseries so that all children who require clinical care whilst in school can have their care delivered safely within school or nursery.
Our nursing team is part of Integrated services and so we work closely with other professionals from education, health and social care to provide a multiagency approach to care planning.
As part of the SEND agenda within the Warrington Borough, the CCNTeam contribute to the health reports that are part of each child’s Education Healthcare plans.
You may find it helpful to view Warrington Borough Council’s local offer site for further information about support and services in the area. The local offer support parents and carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/ or Disabilities (SEND) and young people with SEND themselves.
The link to Warrington local offer is: https://askollie.warrington.gov.uk/localoffer.
The Complex Needs Respite Service
Our Respite service is provided by the clinically experienced nursery nurses (support workers) from the Children’s Community Nursing Team for Complex care and is assessed and provided via the Continuing Healthcare process.
Our Clinical Support Workers have received specific, extensive training and gained experience in caring for children with complex healthcare needs within their own homes.
Aims of our service
To support families by providing short periods of respite care for your child within your own home. These are usually two hour sessions, one or two times per week dependant upon agreed package of support.
To provide appropriate play and sensory stimulation to encourage your children to explore and engage in the world around them.
To undertake specific nursing care as necessary during respite sessions ensuring your child’s safety and well-being at all times. This can include feeds, medication and suctioning.