Position: Medical Director
Tell us about your career to date:
I undertook my medical training at Cambridge University and then trained in General Practice before specialising in Palliative Medicine.
I was Consultant in Palliative Medicine and Medical Director at Wigan & Leigh Hospice from 2005 to 2018.
From April 2018 I have held a part-time role as an Associate Dean for Health Education England North West.
In October 2019 I took up the post of Deputy Medical Director for Bridgewater and since April 2020 I’ve worked as Medical Director, on a job share basis with Dr Ted Adams.
What is the most important thing for you in your role?
- Oversee the provision of a high standard of medical care within Bridgewater.
- Responsible Officer for doctors employed by Bridgewater.
- Chair of the Palliative and End of Life Steering Group
- Chair of the Race Inclusion Network
What is the biggest achievement of your career so far?
It is really hard to answer that question, as there have been a number of achievements which I have felt proud of at different times.
What is your main focus for the year?
- Ensuring the trust delivers excellent medical and dental care, and that there are effective governance processes in place.
- Implementing the trust’s updated Palliative and End of Life Care Strategy, to ensure services are of the highest possible standard.
- Supporting the delivery of excellent medical care in Community Paediatrics and Paediatric Audiology through links with the doctors working in these specialist areas.
- Actively promoting equality, diversity and inclusion as well as effective leadership, hence creating conditions which enable the delivery of compassionate, inclusive care.
What do you enjoy most about your role?
I love working with our fantastic medical staff, doing what I can to support them in their roles, enable them to deliver the best possible standards of patient care and have interesting and rewarding careers.
I am also privileged to chair the Race Inclusion Network and to meet with amazing staff from varied backgrounds, aiming to ensure that their voices are heard and that they are able to thrive in their work and maximise their contribution to the organisation.